Desmond College actively encourages its students to participate fully in the life of the school. In co-operation with the Board of Management, parents and teacher, the Student Council promotes the interests of the school and involves students in the affairs of the school.
The student council is an elected group of student who represent the views of the entire student body in Desmond College and Gaelcholaiste Ui Chonba.
The role of the student council is to:
- be a voice for students by making their opinions known
- improve the environment and atmosphere in school
- provide positive role models
- organise events and guest speakers and fundraisers
- liaise with management on an ongoing basis and student mentors in organising lunch time activities and the integration of 1st year students in school life
- raise issues put forward by their individual classes
- participate in school activities
- address issues relating to uniform, facilities etc.
- heighten awareness of issues such as bullying, human rights, environment, healthy eating, etc.